Thursday, December 22, 2005

A Good Skirt is Hard to Find

Some of you may remember that I recently acquired a pair of incredibly gorgeous boots. And all I want to do is wear them all day every day. And they look best with skirts. Jean skirts to be exact. Not cheesy micro-skirts, not ruffly frilly skirts, and certainly not a pair of cuffed...shorts?

What is going on? What they hell happened to all the skirts? I've been in all the stores. All of them. And I can't find a straight or slightly a-line button-fly skirt ANYWHERE. All I can find are these jersey-knit culotte-type gaucho garments and shorts that look like cuffed trousers. The thing is, I've yet to see any of these cuffed trouser type garments on anybody. And I thought the cropped-pant / capri trend of the summer was bad. I mean, c'mon people, it's WINTER. These garments don't even look that cute, and they certainly don't look comfortable. At least the Juicy sweatsuit of 2003 was comfy (not that I EVER wore a juicy sweatsuit. hell no.)

Anyway, I'm not sure what to make of this trend. I blame Laguna Beach for all the horrifying fashion of 2005. It occurs to me that I could be getting old, and that's why the tweedy winter shorts and tuxedo culottes don't appeal to me. But I know that isn't it. No, I think these fugly skorts are a good example of the useless, ugly stuff that is the spawn of capitalism. Boo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad Billionaire's little sister here.

You're just not shopping in the right places! Come visit me in New York and I'll take you to Brooklyn where there are jean skirts as far as the eye can see, as long as you promise never to wear them with white tube socks and New Balance sneakers like the local Orthodox Jewish women.

Can't wait to see you this week! Neither can our favorite almost-2-year-old. Ooh he's so cute.

femme feral said...

well, I don't think you have to worry about me EVER wearing tube socks. And I tried the orthodox jean skirt deal, but they are all weirdly flared or something so they end up making one look frumpy. The point is to not look frumpy, really, so...

I just really need to sew my own. damn the corporate skirt!