Friday, February 03, 2006

Punk Rock Poetry Fridays: For Poems With GRRR

THE BLACK UNICORN
by
Audre Lorde

The black unicorn is greedy.
The black unicorn is impatient.

'The black unicorn was mistaken
for a shadow or symbol

and taken

through a cold country
where mist painted mockeries

of my fury.

It is not on her lap where the horn rests
but deep in her moonpit
growing.
The black unicorn is restless

the black unicorn is unrelenting

the black unicorn is not

free.


And here's this:

I see protest as a genuine means of encouraging someone to feel the inconsistencies, the horror of the lives we are living. Social protest is saying that we do not have to live this way. If we feel deeply, and we encourage ourselves and others to feel deeply, we will find the germ of our answers to bring about change. Because once we recognize what it is we are feeling, once we recognize we can feel deeply, love deeply, can feel joy, then we will demand that all parts of our lives produce that kind of joy. And when they do not, we will ask, "Why don't they?" And it is the asking that will lead us inevitably toward change.

So the question of social protest and art is inseparable for me. I can't say it is an either-or proposition. Art for art's sake doesn't really exist for me. What I saw was wrong, and I had to speak up. I loved poetry, and I loved words. But what was beautiful had to serve the purpose of changing my life, or I would have died. If I cannot air this pain and alter it, I will surely die of it. That's the beginning of social protest.

"Audre Lorde." Black Women Writers at Work. Ed. Claudia Tate. NY: Continuum, 1983. 100-16.

No comments: